Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘planning’

Come and help us plan our activities for next year. Bring your ideas and enthusiasm. If you are too busy to come, post a comment or send an e-mail.

Wednesday, December 16
5:30 pm, FCCM Volunteer Center

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

Please come to the Health and Wellness Education Committee’s first meeting:

6 PM Wednesday October 28th

FCCM Volunteer Center
542-4th Suite 100B
(This is beneath the Veterans Affairs office. Go in the door to the right of the Vet office and down the stairs. The door will be unlocked until 6:45)

Join us for our first Health and Wellness Education Committee meeting. Even before our store is open we can begin to serve our members by providing health education and information to the community. We need your help in planning what sort of activities and things we can do to encourage and support a healthy and well Fairbanks.

For more information, please contact Sharon Alden.

Read Full Post »

Richard Seifert, an energy and housing specialist with the Cooperative Extension Service, will be giving a talk on sustainable community movements (“Connecting University Research to Communities”), Wednesday, Oct. 21, from 6:30 to 8 pm at Noel Wien Library (1215 Cowles in Fairbanks). This talk is part of the Community Energy Forum, sponsored by the Alaska Center for Energy & Power, the Renewable Energy Alaska Project, and the Extension Service.

Seifert will discuss community gardens, home weatherization, renewable energy, education, and local organizations that are working to build sustainable communities.

Seifert is a member of the Alaska Energy Network. See also his website, Sustain Alaska.

Read Full Post »

FCCM Minutes for June 4, 2009 (as approved June 11)
Present were Mary Christensen, Rob Leach, Lela Ryterski, and Ian Olson.
The minutes from the previous meeting were read and accepted.

COMMUNITY/OUTREACH: Mary reported on the June 2nd meeting. Three new members came to that meeting: Shawn Lott, Sue Sprinkle, and Jackie Sunnyboy. Also present were Tom Bradley, Lela Ryterski, Mary Christensen, and Sharon Alden.

Mary informed the group that they were responsible for the initial membership fundraising since the fact that we could raise, among ourselves, a substantial portion of funds needed to begin operations would legitimize the co-op as viable and make it easy to receive other monies from matching grants and bank loans. Mary suggested we shoot for a goal of $100,000 by November. Five hundred people investing the proposed one-time $200 membership would satisfy that goal. The next newsletter will focus on the money issue.

Mary and Sharon went to Risse’s Greenhouse on Saturday and got a few names. Tom and Lela went to Clucking Blossom and got several more names. Mary suggested that if we all got on the co-op’s Facebook and each invite 6 people to join, we could be reaching thousands of people with one notice.

Twitter is set up. Sharon did the Pay Pal and Dru is working on the website to incorporate all aspects. Partners in Business is in progress. Other member equity: turkey dinner, calendar, fancy dinner at a producer, cookbook, coupon book, buttons, t-shirts, bumper stickers, tiles honoring big donors. Sue is working up a membership poster.

Next Communications Committee meeting will be next Tuesday, June 9th, at Mary’s at 6:30 p.m. Interested persons can go to themagiccarpet@gci.net and ask for directions to Mary’s house.

LOCAL PRODUCERS: Lela is contacting potential suppliers. Ian mentioned reindeer processing from a mobile unit at the university. He’ll look into that.

STORE DESIGN: Rob is the new chair.

BUSINESS PLAN: Robert Sullivan has material and is getting geared up, reported Rob.

FINANCE: Hans is out of town. Mary contacted two insurance companies and gave Rob the findings.

PRODUCT SELECTION: Lela spoke to Shawn Lott about being on the committee.

TREASURER’S REPORT: Lela reported that Sharon put a member’s donation in the bank and paid the phone bill.

OLD BUSINESS: The Bylaws got sent to the lawyer. Lela sent Deirdre the revised copy to replace the one on the blog. Rob is sure it will need another revision.

NEW BUSINESS:

Pot luck dinner for volunteers to inventory the Foodland building and choose which committees they would like to work with. Bring flashlight and work clothes and a digital camera. Event pushed back 3 weeks to allow enough time to get the word out.

Delta Farm Bus Tour in mid-July.

Communications Committee to advertise for other health education events in our newsletter.

Rob is scheduled to speak at the Farmers’ Market Board Meeting on June 17th at 5:30pm. Other board members are welcome to join.

COMMITTEE DESCRIPTIONS: Rob outlined how the committees work to provide input for the Business Plan: Puts all aspects together—start up costs, growth, working capital, employee training, operating funds, inventory, etc.

Product Selection: Needs to develop a statement with a clear criteria for products. Define local produce—meats, fish, Alaska, etc. List products we’re not going to carry, i.e.: tobacco. Set goals for increasing amount of local produce. Store services: coffee bar, juice bar, deli, etc. and future projections. Special events: plant starts, etc. Look at feasibility study and take recommendations.

Vendor Selection: Follows criteria for product selection.

Operations: Project how many managers we’ll need; how many people per day; rent, utilities, etc. Talk to grocery clerk union. Volunteers for community enrichment activities…

Health and Wellness Education: Speakers discussing co-ops at the Noel Wein Library or Universalist Church.

NEXT MEETING: Thursday, June 11th at 6:00p.m. At the Foodland building.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:00 p.m.

Read Full Post »

With a lofty goal of opening Fairbanks Community Cooperative Market (Co-op Market) by 2011 there are many tasks at hand. Committees have been formed and many need volunteers. Won’t you help it fly? You can volunteer a little of your time or a lot.

There are many small tasks to do so if you can sign up for even one small task it will be a blessing and you will enjoy the fruits of your labor as you shop our own little grocery store next summer.

To find out how you can best serve the Co-op Market e-mail info@fairbankscoop.org or call 457-1023. Or contact one of the committee chairs and let them know you want to participate in that committee.

Business Plan Committee – Board of Directors

This committee is central to the organization as it is organizing all the pieces that go into creating a good business plan. HOWEVER, the work of the other committees is absolutely necessary to putting together a good business plan. Tasks involved include:
1.    Putting together the estimates that come from the other committees into a formal business plan..
2.    Determining a final estimate of the funds necessary for the project before seeking funding

Finance Committee – Committee chair – Hans Geier  – Email: ffhtg@uaf.edu

This committee is responsible for developing sources of funding including:

  • Bank Loans
  • Grants
  • Member loan Program – The committee must research and form a legal structure for member loans.

Store Design – Committee Chair – Robert Leach – Email robertleach@alaska.net

Local Producers and Product Selection Committee – Chair –Cora Kelley – Email bearhug@gci.net

  • Identify potential vendors from the Tanana Valley and around Alaska
  • Create a member survey to be utilized in the blueprint of the Co-op Market
  • Determine criteria for product selection with a priority on local products when available

Health and Wellness Education – Chair – Sharon Alden – Email fwxsca@yahoo.com

Operations Committee – Chair –  Mary Christensen E-mail fccm2010@gmail.

The work of this committee is almost complete.

Communications/Outreach Committee – Chair – Mary Christensen Email themagiccarpet@gci.net or call 347-4463

  • Organize membership equity drive
  • Hold fundraising events
  • Advertisement and promotion
  • Communicate with membership on a regular basis
  • Website and blog updates
  • Responsible for annual meeting

The numerous activities involved with outreach require a lot of help. Many people already participate but we can always use more creative minds!

Read Full Post »

FCCM Minutes for April 16th 2009

Present were Mary Christensen, Helen McLean, Lela Ryterski, Tom Bradley, Barbara Bradley, Rob Leach, Hans Geier.

1) Last week’s minutes were read and accepted.

2) The COMMUNICATIONS COMMITTEE presented an agenda for this meeting. The committee met April 15th. Their report was read and discussed. On that committee were Helen, Mary, Barb and Tom.

a) We were able to keep the same phone number and address (both Dave’s) for the co-op. The people official to deal with phone issues are Lela, Cora, Rob and Mary. We have ACS. It will cost us $5 month for a message phone. Barb will enter the message the Committee discussed and check the messages 2 times a week. The PO Box costs $66 for 6 months. Lela will pay the first 6 months since she is getting her own mail there, as well.

b) The new brochures were distributed for viewing. They came out OK but the paper is flimsy and the price was steep–$150 for 300 copies. We can do better next time. Barb got a good deal on the sign–$85. It came out very good. Tom’s green lattice backboard also came out very good.

c) Health Fair: Barb and Tom will man the booth this Friday and Saturday mornings.

d) Sustainable Task Force Fair at the University: Lela will contact Justin regarding brochures and founding member tickets for the booth he is planning to do this Saturday.

e) The Communications Committee will look into scheduling us for booths at different events to give us exposure.

f) The Annual Meeting date was changed to Saturday, August 29th, at Pioneer Park from noon to 9 p.m.

Pat Fitzgerald and Robin Dale Ford agreed to play for us for another fundraiser, but maybe not the Annual Meeting.

g) Sunday, April 19th, 2 pm. Lela, Rob and Mary will enter members info into database at Mary’s house.

h) Mary will set up an account for us with Constant Contact. The first 2 months are free. We’ll send out our first newsletter at the end of this month.

i) Jerry says there’s interest in Delta and needs founding member tickets. Mary will send him some. Jerry reported by email that he’s contacting producers. We might take the meeting to Delta at some point.

STORE DESIGN: We agreed we need a larger space than just the liquor store. The Business Planning Committee will dictate how much space we need. The feasibility study says 5000 sq. ft.

BUSINESS PLANNING COMMITTEE: Rob suggested Robert Sullivan as a person who is interested in helping this committee. Mary and Lela are interested as well. Jerry will play a big role, as well. Dave had made an in-depth draft we can work with.

BYLAWS: This got pushed back to the next meeting.

NEXT MEETING is set for Thursday, April 23rd at Foodland at 6 p.m.

NEXT COMMUNICATIONS COMMITTEE MEETING will be Wednesday, April 22nd at Mary Christiansen’s at 6 pm.

The BOARD MEETING was adjourned at 7:30.

Read Full Post »

Present were Rob Leach, Barbara Bradley, Tom Bradley, Hans Geier, Helen McLean, Mary Christiansen, Sharon Alden, and Lela Ryterski.

A) BANKING: Since Dave’s passing, we need to assign three check signers. Mary made the motion to have the President, Secretary and Treasurer be signers. The motion was passed unanimously.

The Interim Board Members are as follows:

    Rob Leach, President
    Hans Geier, Vice-President
    Lela Ryterski, Secretary
    Sharon Alden, Treasurer
    Helen McLean
    Cora Kelley
    Rich Seifert

We also need to obtain Dave’s death certificate for the bank (Wells Fargo). Lela will contact Dave’s son, Philos Whitesky, for the death certificate.

B) BYLAWS: We passed around copies of the original bylaws Dave had made up. We went over the bylaws as a group and made changes. The question was whether to offer stock shares or not. According to the Articles of Incorporation, we will not offer shares. We have decided to charge a one-time membership fee. The specifics of a family membership are not clear yet, nor the amounts of either membership category. Rob will bring an updated copy to the next meeting for further consideration.

C) WORKING MONEY: Barb and Tom are putting together the booth for the Health Fair. We have decided on a logo which will go on the banner and new brochures. These can be used for future booths. We authorized money to be spent for these items. Rob gave Barb $300 for working capital. When we obtain access to the co-op account, he will be reimbursed.

D) OUR NEXT MEETING will be next Thursday, April 16th, at 6:00 p.m. at the Foodland site.

The meeting was adjourned at 7:40 p.m.

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »